“When Kids Come Out” – A Four-Session Class for Parents of LGBTQ+ Children Offered on Zoom
When a child comes out to their family, it often raises many questions for both the child and for the family. For example:
• What does it mean for the family when a child comes out to their parents?
• What does it mean for the parents’ relationship to their church?
• What does it mean for the parents’ own faith?
• How do parents navigate their own “coming out” after their children have
come out to them?
• What is the impact on you and your family and especially your LGBTQ+ child with the disaffiliation process taking place currently in some UM
The sessions are designed to provide a safe space where questions and
concerns can be dealt with openly and honestly.
Wednesdays, April 19, 26, May 3, May 10
This session of the class will be held on Zoom. The meetings will begin at 7:00
pm and conclude by 8:30 pm.
If you want to participate in the class, please email Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Put “Kids Class” in the Subject line. A few days prior to the class session, you
will receive a Zoom invitation from Jim for the sessions.
The Rev. Jim Waugh, retired pastor in the West Ohio Conference, will lead the group. Jim and his wife, Carol, have an adult daughter, Lisa, who came out to them over twenty years ago. Jim served a four-year term as the chair of the Parents Reconciling Network Board (a group related to the Reconciling Ministries Network).
If you have questions or need more information, please feel free to email Jim: