Site Worship Leader: Part-Time
Reports to: Site Pastor
Status: Part time, 10-15 hours/week
Job Summary: As a reconciling church that welcomes all in the Short North neighborhood and beyond, Short North Church is seeking a part-time Worship Leader, to begin planning immediately an eclectic worship service that integrates the arts and a wide-range of musical genres to help develop the spiritual rhythms of this new faith community. The church will officially launch in the fall. The Worship Leader will be responsible for leading musical aspects of the 10:00 worship experience, special services during the year, as well as, developing a musical network for YoWo (yoga worship) and gallery hop nights. Duties include: recruiting and developing a band; networking to provide rotational music offering; selecting worship music that aligns with the church’s theology and the incorporation of a variety of elements and styles that focus on welcoming and inspiring the church community into full participation in the bold, inclusive and relevant mission of God. The salary is negotiable.
Position Structure: This person would report to the site pastor, Amy Aspey and will work closely with other staff and volunteers in development of weekly worship experiences. This part- time position includes at least one weekly worship service, band practice, staff and worship planning meetings.
- Communicate with pastor(s) on theme/sermon content for the week to create a well-planned and prayerful worship experience, choosing songs to complete “set-list” that would feed people most effectively and respond to God’s word and presence.
- Recruit/audition new band members, make frequent invitations to serve; increase size and diversity (gender, racial/ethnic) of the band/musical network.
- Directly oversee and provide spiritual leadership and creative support to leading the musical and creative aspects for this new worshipping community.
- Coordinate and oversee rehearsal with band members; ensure band members are adequately prepared for worship (e.g. distribute music in advance).
- Ensure necessary content (lyrics, scripture, announcements, etc) are communicated to the Media Team, before worship.
- Provide passionate spiritual leadership during the worship service (s) in collaboration with clergy.
- Work closely with Sound/Light, Media, Live Streaming Teams for a high quality worship experience.
- Participation in Worship Planning meetings with Site Pastor and Creative Team.
- Connecting, being available for meeting or answering questions/taking suggestions of lay people.
- Connecting with the local community in order to develop a musical network that supports Short North Church’s ministries.
- Have a relationship with God and a passion for connecting people to Christ through music and worship.
- Formal or informal musical training (can range from self-taught, to private lessons, to college degree with a music background).
- Ability to lead songs vocally and instrumentally if needed.
- Knowledge of a wide range of Christian/spiritual songs that are relevant for a church context, as well as, a knowledge of secular music that also connects to faith.
- Experience training and organizing musicians.
- Comfortable speaking and performing publicly with a commitment of seeking to grow.
- The ability to create quarterly/yearly goals and vision for the music team.
- Detail-oriented Passionate/Inspirational
- Entrepreneurial Developing a team
- Process management
- Developing relationships
How To Apply: Candidates for the Short North Church Worship Leader position are asked to e-mail their cover letter, resume and links to key examples of musical/worship experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Pastor Amy Aspey at email@example.com for more information.